If you love mushroom soup but want something homemade, free of gluten, additives, preservatives and something thats actually good for your hormones, this is the perfect soup for you!
The addition of the homemade bone broth will make it easier to digest, a great source of protein, healthy fat, and you’ll know exactly whats in it! The Nutritional yeast gives the soup a rich flavour as well as its a great source of B12
Make a double batch and freeze half for another day.
- 2-3 cups (depending on desired thickness) assorted organic mushrooms (shitake, crimini)
- 4 cups homemade chicken bone broth (for vegetarians/vegans use 2 cups of organic full fat coconut milk)
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or organic coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cups (or 1 small head) organic cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 1 yellow onion diced
- Himilayan sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Wash and cut cauliflower into florets and place in a large pan.
- Add 2 cups of homemade chicken stock, the garlic, a pinch of salt and black pepper and cover. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer until cauliflower is cooked (8-9 minutes).
- If you have an instant pot you can use this instead, set it on manual for approx. 3 minutes.
- Whilst the cauliflower is cooking add the avocado/coconut oil to a pan and saute the onions until translucent.
- Slice the mushrooms fairly thinly and add to the onions. Allow to brown, stirring frequently.
- Add in the nutritional yeast and stir.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, use a potato masher to mash the florets into smaller pieces.
- Then add the mushroom mixture to the cauliflower and stir.
- Add 1 more cup of chicken broth and stir.
- Using a hand blender blend the soup until the mushrooms blend in.
- Take the time now to taste the soup and adjust the seasoning by adding in any salt or pepper that you would like.
- Depending on how thick or thin you like your soup, you can add in the remaining cup of bone broth (or not if you like a thicker soup) and heat through.
- Check the seasoning one last time and serve.